[Councillor Thurston arrived at the beginning of this item.]
2 Public Speakers
Mr McGeehan – Objector
Peter Matley – Applicant
Extension of first floor rear balconies at 32 & 33 Mariners Quay (resubmission of LU/349/20/HH). This application affects the character & appearance of the Littlehampton, River Road Conservation Area and is in CIL Zone 4 (Zero Rated) as other development.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report with updates. This was followed by 3 Public Speakers.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· the lost of privacy and impact on neighbouring properties
· privacy screens and impacts to the views of other properties
· the extension being out of character
That the application be REFUSED as:
1. The proposal if permitted by reason of the scale and appearance of the balcony extension would cause substantial harm to the existing character and appearance to this terrace of buildings and the contribution they make to the conservation area in conflict with policies D DM1, D DM4 and HER DM3 of the Arun Local Plan and the Arun Design Guide.
2. The proposal if permitted would unacceptably and significantly harm the residential amenity of the adjoining properties by reason of overlooking which cannot be satisfactorily mitigated by planning conditions contrary to policies
Those voting for the application to be refused were Councillors Bower, Chace, Chapman, Clayden, Coster, Kelly, Lury and Thurston. There were no votes cast against and there were no abstentions.