Enlargement of existing HMO (Sui Generis). Single storey rear extension, rear roof dormer, front and rear rooflights (resubmission following BR/79/21/PL)
The Planning Team Leader presented the report.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· The Chair asked if the fire brigade had completed a fire safety assessment on the proposal where it was confirmed that environmental health had made specific recommendations detailed within the report and a revised condition could be reviewed at a later time.
· Concerns for parking arrangements, as the application proposed to increase to 11 people but there was no increase for parking arrangements
· Reference to a previous survey for HMO’s that took place 2/3 years ago which resulted in concerns for the number of HMO within this specific area being expressed and the council was now still intensifying the HMO’s in this area
· Clarification regarding the retail unit on the ground level was sought, was this being kept as a retail unit
· It was commented that it felt like overdevelopment and not a good use of the property
The recommendation to refuse the application was proposed by Councillor Bower and seconded by Councillor Coster and a recorded vote was requested.
The application be REFUSED as the development failed to provide adequate open space causing harm to the amenities of future occupiers of the site contrary to Policy H SP4 c) of the Arun Local Plan. Also, the applicant had failed to provide a completed Section 106 legal agreement relating to contribution of £1,742 towards the cost of delivering measures to avoid or mitigate to an acceptable level, the hard caused to Pagham Harbour by the development contrary to Policy ENV DM2 of the Arun Local Plan.
Those voting for the application to be refused were Councillors Bower, Chace, Coster, Edwards, Lury and Thurston. Those abstaining from the vote were Councillors Blanchard-Cooper, Chapman and Cooper. There were no votes cast against.