Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1 Public Speaker
Molly McLean - Agent
Demolition of existing car garage (B2) and the erection of 2no. residential buildings comprising 4no. flats (C3) with associated works (resubmission of LU/151/21/PL). This application affects the character and appearance of the Littlehampton (River Road) Conservation area and is in CIL Zone 4 (zero rated) as flats.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report. This was followed by 1 Public Speaker.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· how the development would look from the street
· the conditions on window design and materials
· underground parking by excavation and concerns with setting a precedent
· the impact of the underground parking to the street scene and whether the access should have some sort of door or other means of obscuration
· support for the design
· Arun’s long established policy regarding underground parking and the need to replicate the conditions from previous underground parking applications
· concerns over the scale and character of the proposals
When questioned about whether there was any kind of door to the garage area, the Planning Area Team Leader confirmed that there was not but that one of the suggested conditions could be amended to include a requirement for a door. The Group Head of Planning then stated that it was probably not sensible to require a door because of the flood zone in which the application site was located within.
The recommendation was then proposed by Councillor Blanchard-Cooper and seconded by Councillor Bower.
That the application be APPROVED CONDITIONALLY as detailed in the report subject to the conditions as detailed.
Report author: Nicola Spencer
Publication date: 07/10/2022
Date of decision: 28/09/2022
Decided at meeting: 28/09/2022 - Planning Committee