Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
[Having declared her Prejudicial Interest, Councillor Warr did not participate in the discussion or vote on this item.]
2 Public Speakers
Stephen Potts – Objector
Molly McLean – Agent
Erection of 6 No. 2-storey dwellings consisting of 2 No 2 bed units & 4 No 3 bed units, access, parking, cycle storage, bin store and other associated landscape works (resubmission following BE/104/21/PL). This site is in CIL Zone 4 & is CIL Liable as new dwellings.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report with updates. This was followed by 2 Public Speakers.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· concerns over impacts to parking and traffic whilst noting that the site used to be a pub with lots of traffic accessing it so not a grounds for refusal
· developers using the fact that Arun did not have a 5-year housing land supply to justify development whilst at the same time not building out approved planning applications at the rate they were supposed to
· the sustainability of the plot with good access to the public transport network
· the current state of the site, described by one Member as an eyesore
· the site having been identified in the Bersted Neighbourhood Plan for housing and therefore the inevitability of development
· concern for the impact on surrounding properties, some of which were of character
· the distances from the proposed development to the existing houses behind being consistent with the Arun Design Guide
The recommendation was then proposed by Councillor Chace and seconded by Councillor Kelly.
That the application be APPROVED CONDITIONALLY as detailed in the report and report update subject to the conditions as detailed.
Report author: Hebe Smith
Publication date: 07/10/2022
Date of decision: 28/09/2022
Decided at meeting: 28/09/2022 - Planning Committee