[Councillor Haywood re-declared her Personal Interest made at the beginning of the meeting. Councillor Clayden declared a Personal Interest as the Director of a charity based in a property in close proximity to the application site.]
Replacement of 40 No. existing timber windows with new double glazed PVCu windows. This application is in CIL Zone (Zero Rated) as other development.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· concern raised for the lack of weight given to the comments of the Conservation Officer and the Arun Design Guide’s direction for ‘buildings of character’
· the need for a more sympathetic replacement
· concern that approval would make PVCu windows acceptable throughout the Littlehampton area of character
· the prohibitive cost of wooden replacement windows, especially for particular types of organisations (charities, for example)
· the replacement double glazing’s impact on carbon reduction due to improvements in energy retention and insulation
· support for the application as it was not out of keeping with the area and would improve the look of it
· the variety of windows in neighbouring properties
The Planning Area Team Leader clarified that the building was a ‘Locally Listed Building’ rather than a ‘Listed Building’ and the distinction meant the protections given to it were considerably fewer. He also clarified that an ‘Area of Character’ did not hold the same weight as a ‘Conservation Area’. The Group Head of Planning confirmed that this course of action would not require planning permission under Permitted Development if it were a single dwelling rather than a block of flats.
The recommendations were then proposed and seconded.
That the application be APPROVED CONDITIONALLY as detailed in the report subject to the conditions as detailed.