Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
2 Public Speakers
Hazel Johnston – Objector
Mr Nigel Jarvis – Agent
Outline planning application with all matters reserved (except access) for residential development with up to 95 no. dwellings (Use Class C3), informal and formal public open space, landscaping, drainage and other associated works. This application is a Departure from the Development Plan.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report with updates. This was followed by 2 Public Speakers.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· the reluctance of Members to approve an application without the Section 106 Heads of Terms available
· the need for more detail around CIL contributions and proposed projects
· the quality of the trees on the site
· rural nature of the site and the loss of agricultural land
· the accumulative impact of traffic from this and other developments in the area
· the odour issue from the landfill site
· the site being outside the built-up area boundary and the location not being sustainable (not walking distance to shops, will not support local economy, no environmental benefit, accessibility to high quality public transport)
· the potential problem of the lack of visibility for the access onto Lidsey Road
· the need to create development where people do not need to use their cars
That delegated authority be granted to the Group Head of Planning, in consultation with the Chair and Vice-Chair of Planning Committee to:
1. Grant outline planning permission, subject to conditions;
2. Subject to a Section 106 Agreement, the terms of which are substantially in accordance with those set out in this report with any minor amendments authorised by the Group Head of Planning;
Should the Section 106 Agreement not be completed in 4 months of the date of the Planning Committee's resolution to grant planning permission, then the application shall be refused for the following reasons:
a) In the absence of a signed Section 106 agreement, the development fails to make any affordable housing provision and is thereby contrary to the aims and objectives of the NPPF and policy AH SP2 of the Arun Local Plan.
b) In the absence of a signed Section 106 agreement, the development will not provide the highway improvements necessary to deliver the development & mitigate any residual harm to the local and strategic road network and is thereby contrary to ALP policies T SP1, T DM1 and the NPPF.
3. Subject to receipt of a satisfactory consultation response from the Environment Agency, be completed in 4 months of the date of the Planning Committee's resolution to grant planning permission.
Report author: Nicola Spencer
Publication date: 15/06/2022
Date of decision: 28/04/2022
Decided at meeting: 28/04/2022 - Planning Committee