Decision Maker: Environment Committee
Decision status: Information Only
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Upon the invitation of the Chair, the Engineering Services Manager presented this report to the Committee. He explained that since the report had been written the role of Director of Services had now been re-titled Director of Environment and Communities, so the recommendation was now slightly amended to reflect this change. The report sought authority to undertake the necessary investigation and survey work and then if appropriate to make representation to the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), to increase the number of designated Bathing Waters in Arun District. The water sampling would be carried out by the Environment Agency (EA), so there would be no cost to Arun, and it would show the bathing water qualities at more points across the District, not just the six existing designated bathing water areas.
Members then took part in a question-and-answer session and the following points were made:
· Potential location of any new designated bathing waters. The Engineering Services Manager explained they were looking at West of the River Arun, potentially West Beach. The areas being looked at would be feasible in terms of facilities for users and landowners’ agreement.
· It was felt important the EA sample the water for a broader picture.
· It was requested that a copy of the water sampling points be circulated to Members of the Committee, which the Engineering Services Manager agreed to do after the meeting.
The recommendations were Proposed by Councillor Worne and Seconded by Councillor Huntley.
RESOLVED – That
1. Investigations, survey work and public consultation to ascertain whether or not any targeted beaches of the Arun District Council coastline, anticipated to meet the criteria for designating Bathing Waters, warrant a request to Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), to designate them as Bathing Waters under the Bathing Waters Regulation 2013, be approved.
2. The Director of Environment and Communities be authorised, in liaison with the Chair of Environment Committee to request that Defra considers designating any beaches found under 1 above to be suitable for designation.
Publication date: 28/07/2022
Date of decision: 14/07/2022
Decided at meeting: 14/07/2022 - Environment Committee