Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1 Public Speaker
Alex Bateman – Agent
Refurbish and renew the first and second floors of the existing building to the southern side of the site, with a new build proposal to the northern half of the site, creating a new entrance and entrance stairwell with bicycle and bin storage to the existing ground floor area and a new two storey (1st and 2nd floor) build co-living, 23 bed HMO scheme above, together with the change of use to the former bank (Use Class E) to four commercial units (Use Class E). This application may affect the setting of a listed building.
The Planning Area Team Leader presented the report. This was followed by 1 Public Speaker.
Members then took part in a full debate on the application where a number of points were raised and responded to by Officers, including:
· the differences between a HMO and a hostel
· whether there were any limits on the number of tenants
· the accessibility of the business units and concerns they would not be DDA compliant
· whether this would be overdevelopment in the area
· there already being parking issues in the area
· concerns over flooding in an area prone to it
· whether the sewage system had the capacity for the added pressures this development would bring when Southern Water was already struggling with pre-existing issues
· controls on commercial tenants (working hours, noise, smell)
· the development improving the street scene and tidying up that particular area of the town
· the development bringing benefits to the High Street area and whether the improvements to the High Street could be extend into East Street
· access into the property for the emergency services
The Planning Area Team Leader confirmed that the number of tenants in the property was a matter for Environmental Control and DDA compliance was a matter for Building Control.
The recommendations were then proposed and seconded.
That the application be APPROVED CONDITIONALLY as detailed in the report subject to the conditions as detailed.
Report author: Daun Johnson
Publication date: 08/08/2022
Date of decision: 20/07/2022
Decided at meeting: 20/07/2022 - Planning Committee