Decision Maker: Planning Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Group Head of Planning presented his report with some background information of the proposed wind farm and highlighted Section 3 of the report which contained some of the major conclusions drawn from a preliminary environmental report prepared in support of the application and response from internal consultees on technical matters.
Members then took part in a full debate on the item where a number of points were raised including:
· the importance of the issue of views to the sea and how the wind farm might affect the leisure and tourism industries
· how the larger (than Rampion 1) wind turbines might dominate the skyline and whether this was overdevelopment
· whether this development should be considered inshore rather than offshore as it was within the 12-mile limit
· the effect on the environment and economy of Arun, which might not be immediately obvious
· the need to commission a report into the impacts of the wind farm
· a lack of available evidence more generally on the effect to coastal towns and whether Arun could make direct enquiries to other Local Authorities that have gone through this experience
· the shipping lanes preventing the wind farm being located further from the coast
· the purpose of this response, clarifying Arun’s opening position which would then be further informed by the Local Impact Report to be followed by a more detailed response in answer to the particular issues identified by Arun rather than the proposers
· the reality that wind farms will happen due to the climate emergency, but that Arun must reap the benefits if we are to have this on our horizon
· the question of training and what this might look like, from both new and growing industries
· the need for comments around habitat loss and disturbance to be beefed up, the Arun River valley being one of the District’s most special and protected landscapes, and to know more about the impacts on wildlife and to what extent this could be mitigated
· a local assessment on environmental impacts alone not being good enough, a study with a much wider scope being necessary and whether Arun should be open to the idea of other Authorities coming into this study with us rather than it being led by others as it was considered Arun was the Authority to suffer the largest impacts
· the need to submit a holding objection and await the findings of the Local Impact Report
The Group Head of Planning confirmed that he would formulate a response in consultation with the Chair and Vice-Chair which would be submitted before the end of the consultation period and that the report would be amended based upon this debate.
The recommendations were then proposed and seconded.
1. Agree the contents of the response to the consultation.
2. Note that a Supplementary Estimate would be needed to commission a Local Impact Report to be prepared to be submitted to the Secretary of State.
Report author: Nicola Moore
Publication date: 27/09/2021
Date of decision: 08/09/2021
Decided at meeting: 08/09/2021 - Planning Committee